In 1935 a group of RAF amateurs stationed at the Electrical and Wireless School at Cranwell began regular meetings to discuss their technical problems.
It was decided to form a society and in 1936 the Cranwell Amateur Radio Transmitting Society (CARTS) was founded under the leadership of Wally Dunn G2LR. CARTS membership grew rapidly and a headquarters station was established with the callsign G8FC.
In 1937 the CARTS journal QRV was inaugurated to keep members at home and overseas in the picture. In 1938 membership increased rapidly and it was recognised that a Royal Air Force Society was needed and so RAFARS was founded based at RAF Cranwell.
The Society went into suspense during World War II and activities were subsequently resumed in 1947. The move of No. 1 Radio School from Cranwell to Locking necessitated a move of Headquarters on 1st October 1951 1997 saw G8FC and G8RAF move to RAF Cosford but the Headquarters remained at Locking.
During 1998, due to the closure of RAF Locking the HQ moved to it's present location at RAF Cosford.
The aims of the Society are to promote and foster amateur radio activities within the Royal Air Force and, through Amateur Radio, to maintain and foster the close bonds that exist between radio amateurs who are serving in the Royal Air Force and those who have retired from, or have close links with, the Royal Air Force.